Pink Eye Treatment from Your Optometrist in San Diego, CA
Often pink eye symptoms are obvious before a patient senses discomfort. This is the common name for a condition known as conjunctivitis. Fortunately, pink eye treatment from our San Diego optometrist can provide relief to patients who visit our Midway Optometry practice.
Overview of Conjunctivitis
This disorder is a swelling or inflammation. It strikes the conjunctiva, the tissue that lines the inner eyelids and covers the white part of the eyes. The condition is particularly prevalent among youngsters. Since conjunctivitis can be highly contagious, steps to prevent its spread are essential. Our optometrist notes that conjunctivitis is the result of viruses, bacteria, or other factors. The most common instigators include:
- Viruses like the common cold
- Allergic reactions to substances such as ingredients in cosmetics and pollen
- Specific diseases that are sexually transmitted
- Bacteria-caused infections
- Lotions or makeup now contaminated
- Items like contact lenses that touch the eye
Pink Eye Symptoms
Signs vary by the type of the infection present. The most common sign is the pinkish look of an infected eye. Other common pink eye symptoms include:
- Excess tear production
- Discharging eye
- Sensation of grittiness
- Eyes that itch or burn
- Swollen eyelids
- Sensitivity to light
Pink Eye Treatment Options
Our optometrist will explain the steps required to lower the risk of contracting this potentially contagious disorder. The objectives of pink eye treatment are preventing its spread and reducing the inflammation and discomfort of a patient with a confirmed case. Successful treatment requires a blend of professional services and self-care steps.
Seeing an optometrist is necessary to make sure that a minor health problem does not become a more severe condition. Patients with conjunctivitis must guard against touching their eyes. The most appropriate therapy depends on the type of infection present:
- Allergic reaction - Patients should avoid the substance that is the cause. Many also find NSAIDs, antihistamines, cool compresses, and artificial tears helpful. For some, prescribed steroids in drop form are beneficial.
- Bacterial basis - A few days’ use of antibiotic drops or ointment typically results in improvement.
- Viral cause - These infections generally fade over the course of a few weeks. Comfort measures include cool compresses and artificial tears.
- Chemical substances - Saline to flush the irritant is necessary. Some patients also require topical steroid medications.
Schedule an Appointment with Our San Diego Optometrist
Whether you’re seeking conjunctivitis treatment or vision correction, you’ll love the top-quality care you receive from our San Diego optometrist, Dr. Michael S. Matthews. Our practice provides a full range of optometry services for families. To schedule a consultation, call our Midway Optometry office at (619) 224-2973 or use our convenient online appointment request page.